Black Bean Tamale Pie With Pumpkin Cornbread Topper
This quick and easy dinner dish is also very customizable! Here we use black beans and veggies for a totally vegetarian meal, but you could use ground beef or turkey or some shredded chicken to up the protein and make it a meat eaters favorite. Like things a little spicier? Add a minced jalapeno, a couple chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, or 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper. You could also simply use your favorite cornbread mix or recipe for the topper.
Servings: 6 servings
- Large oven safe pot
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 cup corn
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 can black beans (15 oz)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (15oz)
- 1 tsp granulated garlic or 2 cloves minced
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 cup pumpkin cornbread batter (see additional 1/2 sheet)
- olive oil
- Dice onion and pepper. Drain and rinse beans and corn. Mince or grate garlic. Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan or 8 inch oven safe skillet.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion, pepper, and corn until translucent and starting to brown in spots, about 4-5 minutes. Add beans, diced tomatoes, taco seasoning, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Turn heat to low and simmer until everything is heated through and thickened.
- Prepare cornbread: Follow directions on included 1/2 sheet on Pie Pumpkins and Pumpkin Cornbread. Use 2 cups batter for Tamale Pie and bake the rest in a greased loaf pan or 8x8 baking dish (extra cornbread delicious served with a smear of peanut butter for breakfast or with soup for lunch).
- Pour tomato filling into prepared pan. Spoon cornbread batter over the top and spread to cover the filling as best you can.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes until cornbread is baked through and golden brown.
- Serve warm with your favorite taco toppings! Sour cream, avocado, cheese, cilantro, etc. Enjoy!