Broccoli & Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Casseroles are such a great Midwest way to bring a lot of fun and delicious ingredient into one family favorite dish! They're also a great way to make use of your favorite proteins, vegetables, and grains including those that need to get used up quickly! Here we use locally grown spaghetti squash with a creamy, garlicy, vegan sauce and the ENTIRE head of broccoli to create a warm, tasty, and delicious dinner. If you have a little Parmesan or cheddar, it would make a perfect topping.
Servings: 6 servings
- Large oven safe pot
- 9x13 inch baking dish
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 stalk broccoli florets and stem
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 red onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp flour
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Drizzle with a little oil, salt and pepper and place face down on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 min until the flesh is tender.
- While the spaghetti squash is baking cut broccoli into florets; then peel the stem and cut into 1/2" pieces. Remove ends from onion and dice.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a medium oven-safe pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté 2-3 min. Add garlic, Italian seasoning and flour and cook another minute. Add coconut milk to pan and mix to incorporate. Bring to a gentle bubble (slight simmer) and allow to thicken and form a sauce. Season to taste and set aside.
- Allow the spaghetti squash to cool down for a minute; then, scoop out the spaghetti strands.
- Add squash and broccoli to the creamy sauce and mix well.
- Transfer and spread out squash and broccoli mixture in greased 9x13 inch baking dish and transfer to the oven. Top with cheese (optional). Bake for 15 min or until sauce bubbles and casserole begins to brown. Serve immediately, enjoy!