Prepare Breaking Bread Cafe’s made-from-scratch, delicious food by following recipes and working with the Kitchen Team, Kitchen Manager and Executive Chef. Learn about the cafe at breakingbreadmn.com.
● Use established cooking techniques to consistently produce café menu and/or catering items including salads, soups, sandwiches, cooked entrees, sides, desserts as well as cold and hot beverages, handling food in a manner that is consistent with local health department guidelines.
● Read, understand, follow and speak basic cooking directions and standardized recipes.
● Respond appropriately to guest requests. Communicate with kitchen team, cashiers, servers and
hostess to assure efficient seating, table utilization and customer service.
● Safely use equipment and supplies to perform tasks most efficiently and effectively.
● Assist with inventory control, product stocking, rotation and waste management.
● Properly handle and store raw or prepared foods and non-food supplies.
● Maintain assigned work station in a safe and sanitary condition.
● Follow health and sanitation standards to properly clean dishware, equipment and kitchen facilities
before, during and after service as necessary and assigned.
● Close the kitchen properly and follow the closing checklist for kitchen stations. Assist others in
closing the kitchen.
● Attend all scheduled employee meetings and bring suggestions for improvement.
● Perform other related duties as assigned by the Head Chef, Kitchen Manager or Supervisor.
● At least one year prep or line cook experience. Food Handlers / ServeSafe permit preferred. 1-2 year culinary degree or equivalent preferred.
● Good understanding of professional cooking and knife handling skills.
● Understanding and knowledge of safety, sanitation and food handling procedures.
● Ability to demonstrate sound cooking knowledge and technique.
● Must be able to arrive promptly and work early mornings, weekends and some holidays.
● Professional communication skills. Ability to take direction, work in a team environment and work
calmly and effectively under pressure.
● Must have problem solving abilities, be self-motivated and organized.
● Commitment to quality service, and food and beverage knowledge.
● Strong value for healthy/whole foods, community engagement and social enterprise.
● Willingness to work with youth in job skills programming.