APPETITE FOR CHANGE JOB POSTING
Appetite For Change (AFC) is a nonprofit social enterprise in North Minneapolis whose mission is to use food as a tool to build health, wealth and social change. Appetite For Change envisions sustainable, equitable, local food systems, created and led by thriving, socially connected families and communities.
We are seeking a full-time Communications Manager who leads all communications efforts for AFC programming and development efforts and works closely with the marketing and communications staff in AFC’s Social Enterprise team. This position is responsible for content creation and managing use of Appetite For Change’s digital platforms, including the website, social media accounts, e-newsletters and other dissemination tools. This person publishes and promotes marketing, editorial, fundraising content/campaigns, and information about AFC social enterprises on afcmn.org and acoss social media. to work in the Community Cooks program. The Communications Manager will work primarily weekdays but occasional evenings and weekends will be required. To start the position will be remote then move to a hybrid schedule in July 2022.
The Communications Manager responsibilities include:
Digital Communications Strategy
- Create and implement an annual plan for digital platform management and engagement, including email, website, and social media.
- Lead digital execution—across email, website, social media, and blog —of fundraising and engagement campaigns throughout the year.
- Manage vendors and oversee execution of social media strategy across channels to build brand and issue awareness.
- Create and publish a variety of digital content with a focus on producing engaging web pages and landing pages that meets SEO standards, maximizes AFC’s Google Ad Grant, and follows AFC brand guidelines.
- Lead digital e xecution—across email, website, and social media—of fundraising and engagement campaigns throughout the year.
- Write email content and newsletters.
- Monitor website and social media metrics on an on-going basis and analyze monthly.
- Maintain and manage AFC’s online store.
Communications Content Strategy and Storytelling
- Work independently and with the VP of Advancement to create and manage a comprehensive communications calendar.
- Manage content strategy and inform a calendar of upcoming topics, news and milestones, and external opportunities to guide content planning.
- Serve as AFC’sstoryteller and own story creation with an emphasis on programming and fundraising content.
- Develop and execute communications for key days, such as Give to the Max Day, and other priority upcoming content and events.
- Maintain and exert editorial oversight of external communications.
- Support the Social Enterprise Marketing Team with photo/video or other copy as needed for their promotion of the Breaking Bread Cafe, Breaking Bread Catering and Station 81.
- Collaborate with program staff, advancement team members and/or contractors to create and update communications materials in support of fundraising, donor stewardship, campaigns, and all AFC programs.
Video and Visual Communications Asset Management
- Make recommendations to the VP of Advancement and, when appropriate, the President when external vendor support or external expertise is needed for projects.
- Provide direction to vendors to achieve end products that align with brand standards and organizational needs. These may include photographers, videographers, and other professionals.
- Conduct routine or as-needed training to colleagues on accessing and using AFC images and videos.
- Serve as the primary point of contact and work with the VP of Advancement to determine rights and permissions and access to AFC visual comms assets.
News, Press, Media Relations, and External Awareness
- Edit media statements to align with the AFC image and brand.
- Support press conferences and interviews as needed.
- Serve as the main point of contact for media inquiries and manage/respond to media inquiries from email@example.com in a timely manner.
- Liaise with public relations contractors to maximize public awareness of AFC and ensure alignment of media engagements, and accuracy of information conveyed to the public.
- Apply to awards, nominations, and other external awareness initiatives that align with AFC’s brand and increase awareness and support of the organization. Complete applications, submit materials, and support and promote awards and accolades given to the organization.
- Pursue or support cause-related marketing initiatives.
Communications Evaluation and Analysis
- Collect and report user data from afcmn.org and breakingbreadmn.com
- Provide recommendations for website improvement based on user data
- Collect and analyze social media data for Facebook, Instagram, and Linked In
- Prepare reports to deliver to the Vice President and President for quarterly Advancement Committee and AFC Board meetings
- Support the VP of Advancement in annual and quarterly planning and budget creation.
- Manage and direct contractors as necessary.
- Support timely financial documentation related to communications expenses.
- Support the VP of Advancement in maintaining the AFC brand standards and enforcing compliance with the standards.
- Build upon and maintain AFC key messaging and other core communications assets.
- Provide monthly and quarterly reports as well as weekly status reports to the VP of Advancement.
- Perform various tasks as assigned by management.
- Support the work of additional AFC committees as needed.
Desired Education and Experience
- Three or more years working in communications for a non-profit organization, for-profit, or government entity
- Background in communications, project management, and/or knowledge management preferred
- Strong knowledge of marketing and communications project management
- Associates degree or higher preferred, or equivalent years of experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Possess strong aesthetic instincts for digital layouts and publishing and an exceptional eye for detail
- A keen understanding of major social media platforms’ tools and distinct uses; and a passion for digital strategy, results, and analytics
- Experience publishing content on WordPress, Squarespace or other CMS
- Able to work well in a team environment, handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines
- Knowledge of best practices for writing and publishing on different platforms (especially Facebook and Instagram)
- Must be a strong communicator, have excellent written, presentation, oral communications and interpersonal skills
- Must be a creative and strategic thinker with good judgment and ability to make independent decisions in a changing environment
- Attention to detail and problem solving skills
- Able to manage time, deliverables and meet deadlines
- Proficiency in Google Suites and Microsoft Office
- Software Skills Required: WordPress; SquareSpace; Canva; Campaign Monitor and MailChimp or similar email service provider; SalesForce.
- Work is typically performed remotely, requiring reliable cell phone access and high speed internet
- Infrequent work is performed at AFC outdoor agricultural fields and an outdoor farmer’s market
- Requires occasional travel (10% of time) outside the office, for conferences and training, or attendance at other AFC-related events and activities
$50,000 to $55,000 – DOQ
- Health Reimbursement Account (HRA)
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Paid Holidays
- Short Term Disability (STD) Insurance
Send resume and cover letter to Stephanie@afcmn.org.