Making tortillas is an awesome activity to do with kids! Set up some kitchen stations and bring them in for the fun! Jackfruit makes a great alternative to pulled meats - with a texture similar to pulled pork and a neutral flavor that picks up what you cook it in. Use the same method to pull, dry, and crisp, then smother in bbq sauce for pulled "pork" sandwiches.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 Medium saute pans
- Large bowl
- 0.5 bunch cilantro
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 avocado
- 1 Lime
- 1 can jackfruit
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1.5 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- olive oil
- Small dice onion. Mince or grate garlic. Remove jackfruit from can then strain and cut into 1/2" pieces that resemble pulled pork. Place jackfruit on paper towels or a clean towel to pat dry! This will help make the carnitas crispy, set aside and let air dry.
- Make the tortillas: In a large bowl add masa harina, a large pinch of salt and 1.5 cups of hot water. Mix using your hands until dough is uniform. If it feels a little dry, continue to add water 1/4 cup at a time until the dough is moist and play-dough like. Break dough into ping pong size balls.
- Take two 8x8 squares of plastic (cut open a ziplock bag or parchment paper). Place one ball of masa in between the layers of plastic. Using your hands or a rolling pin, gently press into a circle. Turn the disc a few times for even thickness!
- Heat 1 tsp. oil on your sauté pan over low heat. Spread the oil using a paper towel or brush to coat the pan. Peel off the top plastic and flip the tortilla right into a pan to fry. Remove the bottom plastic. Cook for 2-3 min until the tortilla has little brown specks, then flip and cook on the other side! Remove from pan and wrap in a clean kitchen towel to keep warm. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until dough is gone.
- When tortillas are done, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add half the onion and cook 3-4 min until softened. Add jackfruit, garlic, taco seasoning and soy and mix. Sauté for 6-7 min until jackfruit caramelizes and deepens in color. Remove from heat.
- Assemble the tacos! Cut avocado and lime into wedges. Divide carnitas into tortillas. Top with avocado, cilantro, remaining onion, and lime. Enjoy!