APPETITE FOR CHANGE JOB POSTING
Appetite For Change (AFC) is a nonprofit social enterprise in North Minneapolis whose mission is to use food as a tool to build health, wealth and social change. Appetite For Change envisions sustainable, equitable, local food systems, created and led by thriving, socially connected families and communities.
We are seeking a full-time Kitchen Manager for our North Minneapolis location. The person is responsible for the overall execution in the kitchen line, ensuring that all foods are prepared according to standards and that waste is minimized, developing kitchen staff to exceed expectations & overs, schedules, trains and completes initial interviews for new staff. This position manages and helps develop Lead Line cooks to ensure Quality, Cleanliness & Productivity are meeting expectations. Days and hours are based on kitchen and catering needs.
- Manages operations through the mentoring of Leads to grow in their leadership & ensure all aspects of kitchen operations are being met.
- Oversee execution of menu items according to recipes specifications, ensure high quality of food and focus on speedy execution from time order is placed.
- Assume all positions on the Line as necessary; leads by example.
- Assists in the development and enforcement of procedures to ensure consistent cleanliness and safety of all common use kitchen facilities.
- Responsible for oversight of all line operations including equipment usage, food storage, appliance and smallwares.
- Maintain safe food handling guidelines and follow all applicable state and local food safety regulations.
- Maintain food standards and high quality presentation, portion control and appropriate storage, cooking and serving temperatures.
- Maintain policies and procedures to enhance and measure quality.
- Provide General Manager with feedback.
- Review and analyze operational/financial data to ensure optimization of use of labor and ingredients.
- Responsible for oversight of equipment usage, food storage, appliance and smallwares wear & tear.
- Supervise, educate and inspire Lead Line cooks.
- Lead, manage & discipline down-line employees.
- Ensure a high level of customer service and professional behavior within the kitchen and by the kitchen staff.
- Ensure Kitchen culture accurately represents Appetite For Change’s Mission.
- Ensures all BOH systems are accurate and thorough.
- Weekly BOH schedule is complete by Tuesday and ready for approval, ensuring that Time Off requests and availability are followed.
- Corrective Action documentation is completed and accurate.
- Helps complete & administer annual reviews.
- Completes Initial interviews and makes hiring recommendations.
- Completes New Hire paperwork and proper system onboarding.
- Assumes responsibility for FOH manager responsibilities when GM or FOH Mgr is not present.
- Completes BOH food orders & corrects shortages through Breaking Bread vendors.
- Assists with Catering culinary & event needs when appropriate.
- Other Duties as Assigned
Desired Education and Experience
- Five years kitchen Management experience
- Two years line cook/prep cook experience
- Food Handlers / ServSafe permit required or able to obtain upon hire
- 1-2 years culinary degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Reliable transportation to work at varied locations for events
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Good understanding of professional cooking and knife handling skills
- Understanding and knowledge of safety, sanitation, and food handling procedures
- Able to demonstrate sound food, beverage and cooking knowledge and technique
- Able to arrive promptly and work early mornings, weekends and some holidays
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills to interact with team and communicate with customers
- Friendly demeanor and able to build and maintain professional relationships with coworkers and others as applicable
- Able to take and follow directions and perform tasks to completion
- Must be self-motivated and able to work unsupervised and solve routine problems independently
- Able to work effectively in a team environment and work calmly and effectively under pressure
- Must have problem solving abilities, be organized and detail-oriented
- Commitment to quality internal and external customer service
- Strong passion for the work of Appetite For Changes, serving the community, healthy/whole foods, community engagement and social enterprise
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS NECESSARY TO PERFORM THIS JOB
Incumbent must be able to:
- Able to stand for long periods of time, including up to a full 8-hour work shift
- Able to lift and carry heavy pots and bulk materials up to 25-50 pounds in weight (food, plants, equipment, and other job-related items)
- Manual dexterity, hand and arm strength to prep, cook and plate food
- Hear, speak and effectively verbally communicate in the English language, including following oral and written instructions, in order to communicate with people inside and outside the organization
- Turn, bend, stoop, kneel, squat, and reach frequently in the performance of responsibilities
- Visual and reading ability for close-up work, including to read recipes, detailed documents, charts and/or reports
- Work a flexible work schedule, including evenings and weekends as required including attending events as needed
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Incumbent must be able to use:
- Standard commercial kitchen tools and equipment, such as commercial refrigerators, stoves and ovens, slicers, mixers and kitchen cleaning equipment
- Standard kitchen items such as pots, pans, knives, cooking implements and tools, serving utensils and kitchenware
- The work environment is primarily indoors
- Most work is performed at Breaking Bread Cafe, at partner venue locations, or other off-site public/private venue locations
- Must be able physically tolerate working in a cooking environment around high temperatures and ovens as well as cold areas, such as freezers and refrigerators
- Must be able to work around kitchen cleaning chemicals and tools
- Must be able to tolerate smoke, odors and other typical kitchen conditions
$23 – $28 Per hour – DOQ
Health Reimbursement Account (HRA)
Paid Time Off (PTO)
Short Term Disability (STD) Insurance
Send resume and cover letter to Darryl@afcmn.org