Lemon Chicken & Winter Succotash
Succotash is a southern dish usually made of corn, lima beans, and tomato or bell pepper. Here we switch it up to bring some of our favorite fall vegetables into the mix! The dish is delicious served with brown rice or another whole grain as well. Use our lemon butter technique to zest up any of your favorite dishes (pasta, roasted veg, chicken etc.)
Servings: 6 servings
- Large pan
- Baking sheet
- Baking dish
- 1 carrot
- 1 lb brussels sprouts
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 can sweet corn
- 1 lemon
- 2 packages chicken quarters (about 2 lbs)
- 4 cloves garlic, divide
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- olive oil
- Peel carrots, cut in half lengthwise then dice. Mince or grate garlic. Small dice onion. Cut Brussels sprouts in half. Remove core and seeds from bell pepper and dice. Cut cherry tomatoes in half. Zest lemon and juice half; save the other half.
- Drizzle Brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat. Spread on baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the garlic lemon butter:
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a small bowl. Add half the garlic, juice of half a lemon, 1 tsp lemon zest and a pinch of pepper.
- Prepare the chicken:
- season chicken quarters with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken skin side down and sear 3-4 min per side until golden brown. Do not clean pan. Transfer to a baking dish, pour lemon-butter on top, and bake for 25-30 min until fully cooked.
- Add onions to previously used chicken pan. Cook for 3-4 min, stirring to pick up all the brown bits and flavor from the pan. Add the remaining garlic and carrots and stir. Add 1/4 cup water and butter, bring to a simmer and mix. Add corn, bell pepper, tomatoes, sugar and a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté 4-5 min until beginning to brown. Add roasted brussels sprouts and toss to incorporate.
- Divide chicken and fall succotash between plates. Enjoy!