Lemon Turnip Chickpea Chowder
Looking for a healthy and delicious dinner ready in 20 minutes? Look no further than this simple Lemon Turnip Chickpea Chowder. Pairing root vegetables like carrots and turnips with bright lemon zest and juice gives this chowder a hearty, slow cooked flavor in the time it takes to cook the turnips through. Great with a garnish of fresh herbs or Greek yogurt.
Servings: 6 servings
- Large pot
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 medium turnips
- 2 garlic cloves or 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1-15 oz can chickpeas
- 4 oz coconut milk
- 1 lemon
- 2 tsps dried herbs (dill, rosemary, thyme, Italian seasoning, etc.)
- 4 cups broth or water
- Olive oil
- Wash and dry all produce. Peel and small dice onions and turnips. Dice or grate carrot. Mince garlic. Drain and rinse chickpeas. Zest and juice lemon.
- Heat about 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and carrot. Saute for 5 minutes until softened. Add garlic and herbs and saute for another 1-2 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add turnips and stir to mix everything. Add broth or water and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Simmer until turnips and lentils are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, zest and juice from the lemon. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- At this point you could blend a little if you'd like a smoother soup - add a couple ladles of soup to a blender and puree until creamy or use an immersion blender to puree in pot until desired consistency.
- Add blended soup back to pot. Taste and adjust seasoning again if needed.
- Garnish with crispy chickpeas, a little Greek yogurt, some fresh dill, whatever sounds good to you... Serve warm and enjoy!