Mediterranean Rice Bowl
Grain bowls seem to be everywhere lately - for good reason! Everything in one bowl, endless opportunities for customization and adaptability, super colorful, hearty AND delicious... Our version starts with pantry staple brown rice, adds vibrant summer vegetables, and gets it's flavor punches from a delicious Balsamic Vinaigrette and crumbled feta cheese. Check out the back for more grain bowl inspiration.
Servings: 6 servings
- Large mixing bowl
- Saucepan with lid
- 1 lemon (about 1/4 cup of juice)
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, julienned
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsps cumin
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups dark leafy greens (collard, chard, kale, and spinach would all work)
- 1-6 oz can pitted black olives, drained
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (see tips)
- Read through the entire recipe before getting started. Wash and dry produce. Remove stems from greens and rough chop into bite size pieces.
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil (as you would for pasta). Rinse your rice under cool water to remove some of the starch. Add rice and a big pinch of salt and pepper to your boiling water and cook, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender, about 30 minutes. Drain off the excess water, return to the pot, and mix in your chopped greens. Cover and let steam for 10 minutes while you prep your other veggies.
- Slice green onions. Quarter cherry tomatoes. Slice olives if needed.
- Make Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing: Add lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, basil leaves, minced garlic, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl or mason jar. Mix or shake to combine.
- Fluff your brown rice and greens and taste for seasoning - add another pinch of salt and pepper if you'd like.
- Divide brown rice vegetable mixture between serving bowls and top each with cooked chickpeas, sliced olives, and feta cheese. Drizzle with dressing and serve with extra lemon wedges if desired. Enjoy!