Potato Brussels Sprout Latkes
These potato pancakes are a delicious and simple way to serve a filling meal on a budget! This version makes use of seasonal Brussel sprouts, but almost any vegetable would work, in combination with potatoes. Some of our favorites are zucchini, carrots, sweet potatoes or beets. Play with color, flavor, and texture and replace the Brussel sprouts with shredded vegetables of your choice!
Servings: 6 servings
- Large saute pan or griddle
- 3 cups shredded Brussel sprouts*
- 3 cups shredded potatoes*
- 8 large eggs, divided (2 for pancakes, 6 for serving)
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tbsp taco seasoning or preferred spice blend
- 1/4 cup parsley, thyme, or preferred herb ( or 1 Tablespoon dried herb)
- Use a box grater to shred Brussel sprouts and potatoes OR use a knife to slice potatoes and Brussel sprouts as thinly as possible. Cut vegetable in half to get a flat edge, and then slowly slice lengthwise. If pieces are too big, continue to mince into smaller pieces. (Another option is to boil the potatoes until soft, mash with a fork or masher, and follow directions using mashed instead of shredded.) Finely dice onion and herbs.
- Heat large saute pan or griddle over medium heat. Lightly oil pan. Mix Brusselsprouts, potatoes, 2 eggs, flour, seasoning blend, onion, and herbs in a large bowl, seasoning with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Scoop pancake batter with a large spoon onto heated pan. Press pancake down with back of spatula to flatten. Cook 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Sprinkle with salt and pepper while still warm.
- Remove cooked pancakes from pan and cover with foil to keep warm. Continue cooking pancakes using all batter. Once done with pancakes, wipe out pan and re-oil. Fry eggs to serve on top of pancakes. Enjoy!