APPETITE FOR CHANGE JOB POSTING
Appetite For Change (AFC) is a nonprofit social enterprise in North Minneapolis whose mission is to use food as a tool to build health, wealth and social change. Appetite For Change envisions sustainable, equitable, local food systems, created and led by thriving, socially connected families and communities.
We are seeking a full-time Prep/Line Cook for our Station 81 location. The person will prepare made-from-scratch, high quality, delicious food by following detailed recipes in collaboration with the Kitchen Team and Kitchen Manager. The Cook also performs catering duties on-site or off-site based on the catering event schedule. The days and hours may vary depending upon scheduled events.
Restaurant Cooking and Food Preparation
- Perform all kitchen responsibilities from food preparation to closing the kitchen in accordance with protocol.
- Use established cooking techniques to consistently produce café menu and/or catering items including salads, soups, sandwiches, cooked entrees, sides, desserts as well as cold and hot beverages.
- Read, understand, follow, and communicate basic cooking directions and standardized recipes.
- Communicate effectively and cooperatively with front of house staff to ensure that orders are executed in a timely and accurate manner
- Collect food and beverage products and small wares required for item preparation, notifying banquet/kitchen management in advance of expected shortages.
- Carefully follow standard recipes while preparing assigned items for banquet service.
- Assist with preparing other food products in any other area of the kitchen as needed.
- Assist in plating food items for service and/or set up plating line for banquets.
- Carve food on buffet line, as applicable.
- Handle leftover food items as instructed by banquet/kitchen management, to include proper wrapping, dating, labeling and storage.
- Assist with other set-up and clean-up as requested.
Sanitation, Safety and Health Standards
- Properly handle and store raw or prepared foods and non-food supplies in a manner that is consistent with local health department guidelines.
- Maintain the clean and safe condition of kitchen equipment, assigned workstation and other kitchen areas.
- Safely use equipment and supplies to perform tasks most efficiently and effectively.
- Identify and respond appropriately to emergency situations, such as grease spills, fires, and injuries.
- Respond appropriately and professionally to guest requests.
- Communicate with kitchen team, cashiers, servers and hostess to assure efficient seating, table utilization and customer service.
- Assist with inventory control, product stocking, rotation, and waste management.Follow health and sanitation standards to properly clean dishware, equipment, workstation and kitchen facilities before, during and after service as necessary and assigned.
- Close the kitchen properly, follow the closing checklist for kitchen stations and Assist others in
closing the kitchen to expedite timely closing activities
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings and actively contribute to discussions.
- Perform various tasks as requested or needed by management
- Prepare, produce and package food products for Minnesota Central Kitchen
Job Requirements include:
Desired Education and Experience
- One year prep or line cook experience
- Food Handlers / ServSafe permit preferred
- 1-2 years culinary degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Reliable transportation to work at varied locations for events
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Good understanding of professional cooking and knife handling skills
- Understanding and knowledge of safety, sanitation, and food handling procedures
- Able to demonstrate sound food, beverage and cooking knowledge and technique
- Able to arrive promptly and work early mornings, weekends and some holidays
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills to interact with team and communicate with customers
- Friendly demeanor and able to build and maintain professional relationships with coworkers and others as applicable
- Able to take and follow directions and perform tasks to completion
- Must be self-motivated and able to work unsupervised and solve routine problems independently
- Able to work effectively in a team environment and work calmly and effectively under pressure
- Must have problem solving abilities, be organized and detail-oriented
- Commitment to quality internal and external customer service
- Strong passion for the work of Appetite For Changes, serving the community, healthy/whole foods, community engagement and social enterprise
- Able to stand for long periods of time, including up to a full 8-hour work shift
- Able to lift and carry heavy pots and bulk materials up to 25-50 pounds in weight (food, plants, equipment, and other job-related items)
- Manual dexterity, hand and arm strength to prep, cook and plate food
- Hear, speak and effectively verbally communicate in the English language, including following oral and written instructions, in order to communicate with people inside and outside the organization
- Turn, bend, stoop, kneel, squat, and reach frequently in the performance of responsibilities
- Visual and reading ability for close-up work, including to read recipes, detailed documents, charts and/or reports
- Work a flexible work schedule, including evenings and weekends as required including attending events as needed
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
- Standard commercial kitchen tools and equipment, such as commercial refrigerators, stoves and ovens, slicers, mixers and kitchen cleaning equipment
- Standard kitchen items such as pots, pans, knives, cooking implements and tools, serving utensils and kitchenware
- Most work is performed at Station 81, Breaking Bread Cafe, at partner venue locations, or other off-site public/private venue locations
- Must be able physically tolerate working in a cooking environment around high temperatures and ovens as well as cold areas, such as freezers and refrigerators
- Must be able to work around kitchen cleaning chemicals and tools
- Must be able to tolerate smoke, odors and other typical kitchen conditions
$17 – $22 Per hour – DOQ
Paid Time Off (PTO)
Short Term Disability (STD) Insurance
Long Term Disability (LTD) Insurance
HealthiestYou – Telemedicine
Send resume and cover letter to Jim@afcmn.org