Sweet & Sour Turkey Cabbage Rolls
This easy cabbage roll recipe is a great way to serve a veggie-full, warm and cozy dinner for your family. Feel free to cut up and add any extra veggies you have laying around in your fridge to the filling! You can also add cooked rice, quinoa, barley or any other whole grain your family loves into the mix! Sprinkle some cheese on top while you're at it!
Servings: 6 servings
- Medium saute pan
- Oven safe baking dish
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 head Napa cabbage
- 2 cups canned tomatoes (sauce, diced, or crushed all work)
- 2-3 carrots
- 1 onion
- 2-3 potatoes
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp vinegar (any type)
- Read through entire recipe before getting started. Wash and dry all produce. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Peel carrots and dice into small pieces. Dice potatoes and onion. Mince or grate garlic. Carefully tear Napa cabbage leaves from the bunch, keeping leaves whole. In a large pot, bring 6 cups of water to a boil.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook 2-3 min until softened. Add carrots and potatoes and sauté another minute. Add turkey, salt, and pepper. Cook, breaking apart with a spoon until fully cooked and incorporated; about 8-10 min. Remove from pan and set aside. Do not clean pan.
- Add 1 tsp oil to previously used pan. Add garlic and sauté 1 min. Add tomatoes, 1/2 cup water, Italian seasoning, vinegar, pepper, and salt. Bring to a simmer for 1-2 min. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Using tongs, insert each individual cabbage leaf and submerge in water for a couple of seconds. Remove quickly and set aside. This will soften the cabbage leafs to make rolls. Repeat with other leaves.
- Add about 1-2 tbsp of turkey mixture to each flattened out cabbage leaf and roll up. Place in a large oven safe casserole or baking dish. Repeat this with all the cabbage leaves. Pour sauce over cabbage rolls and bake for 15-20 min in the oven. Enjoy!