There is nothing better than a hearty bowl of chili as the weather turns colder. This version from Nicole with Appetite For Change uses protein packed ground turkey and pinto beans with pantry staples like canned tomatoes and simple herbs and spices. Feel free to play around with the spices; cumin is good for the smokiness, but chili powder, cayenne, paprika would all be nice. This taco seasoning includes them all!
Servings: 6 servings
- Large Dutch oven or pot with lid
- 1 onion
- 2 cups bell pepper strips
- 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
- 28 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 can pinto beans
- 2 tbsp Taco Seasoning
- Toppings; shredded cheese, avocado, sliced green onions
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- 3 cloves garlic or 1 tbsp granulated garlic
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- Remove peel from onion and medium dice. Mince garlic. Drain and rinse beans.
- Over medium-low heat, heat oil in a large pot. Add chopped onion and minced garlic. Stir until onion start to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high, add ground turkey and cook until meat is no longer pink, about 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, taco seasoning, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered for about 10 minutes to let flavors meld.
- Add beans and bell pepper strips and simmer, partially covered, until vegetables are tender and chili is slightly thickened, about 7-10 minutes.
- Serve in bowls with your favorite toppings - we've included avocado, green onions, and shredded cheddar. Enjoy!