Beet & Couscous Salad
Who says a nice fresh salad is only for summer? Roast traditional colder weather vegetables like beets and winter squash and tossing them with a hearty grain and delicious dressing. In this dish we've paired whole wheat couscous with kale, butternut squash, beets, and a little salty feta for a colorful and veggie-packed winter dish.
Servings: 6 servings
- Baking sheet
- Small pot with lid
- Large bowl
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- 2 apples
- 2-3 beets
- 3 oz feta cheese
- 1 onion
- 1 bunch kale
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup vinegar (any type)
- 1.5 tbsp sweetener (sugar, honey, etc.)
- olive oil
- Peel butternut squash and cut into 1/2 - 1 inch cubes. Mince or grate garlic. Remove ends and peel from beets then cut into cubes. Julienne onion. Crumble feta cheese. Slice apple.
- Drizzle butternut squash, onions, and beets with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat. Spread on baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes. Shake the pan and stir, roasting until the vegetables are tender and browned around the edges (20-30 mins).
- Bring 1 1⁄4 cups water to a boil with a pinch of salt and pepper in medium pot. Once boiling add couscous, turn heat off, cover and allow to steam for 10 min until couscous is tender and liquid absorbed. Fluff with fork.
- Make vinaigrette: Mix vinegar, 1/2 cup olive oil, sweetener and garlic in a jar or small bowl. Shake or stir until incorporated.
- Allow roasted vegetables and couscous to cool for a few minutes, if they are too hot they might mush together. Then place kale in a large salad bowl, add roasted beets, butternut squash and onions. Add apples, feta and vinaigrette. Toss to incorporate.
- Divide salad between plates. Enjoy!