Think of this lentil curry recipe as a starting point - this week we're including green bell pepper, tomatoes and carrots as the vegetable but really the sky's the limit here! Once you've gotten comfortable cooking the lentils, you can add any vegetables you prefer or have on hand. A little onion, spicy peppers, or frozen vegetables would go great with Local Crate's Curry Spice Blend and coconut milk. Serve with your favorite whole grain for a delicious, filling vegetarian meal.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 large stock pot
- Large saute pan
- 1 1/2 cups green or brown lentils
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cups mixed vegetables (green bell peppers, carrots, tomatoes, etc.)
- 14 oz can coconut milk
- 1 cup water mixed with 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp Curry Spice Blend
- 3 cups cooked brown rice or other grain for serving
- Rinse lentils under cool water. Discard any shriveled lentils or debris. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add lentils. Set heat to low and simmer until lentils are tender, about 25 - 30 minutes. Drain and set aside. Meanwhile, prep vegetables and start curry.
- Remove seed and white ribs from bell peppers, peel carrots if you'd like, and remove stems from tomatoes. Dice vegetables into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Heat olive oil in pan, and saute vegetables until tender and brightly colored, about 5-6 minutes. Add Curry Spice Blendand honey water and continue cooking to make sure the spices are well blended.
- Add coconut milk and cooked lentils. Combine well. Simmer on low heat about 10 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve over cooked brown rice. Enjoy!