Rainbow Collard Wraps & Coconut Rice
Coconut brown rice paired with ALL the colorful veggies makes for a fresh, quick, and nutritious meal perfect for lunch or dinner. Collard wraps also hold up well in the fridge, so don't be afraid to make them ahead of time and enjoy the next day or two. The coconut rice makes an awesome side for stir-frys or roasted meats and veggies!
Servings: 6 servings
- Medium pot with lid
- Small bowl
- 6-8 collard leaves
- 2-3 carrots
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1-2 avocado
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 can coconut milk (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3 tbsp vinegar
- 3 tbsp honey or brown sugar
- Prepare rice: Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add brown rice. Cook for 1-2 minutes until aromatic. Add 1 1/4 cup coconut milk (set remaining 1/4 cup aside) and 1/2 cup water. Mix to combine and bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 25-30 minutes until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Prepare veggies: Cut the stem/spine off the collard leaf trying to leave most of the leaf intact. Remove ends from onion, cut in half and slice thinly. Remove ends and peel carrots then julienne. Remove ends from scallions and thinly slice. Open avocado and remove seed; scoop flesh out and slice into strips.
- Make the peanut sauce: In a small bowl, mix peanut butter, vinegar, honey, granulated garlic,remaining 1/4 cup coconut milk, and a pinch of salt and pepper until incorporated. If the sauce is too thick, add water 1 Tablespoon at a time until it is smooth and creamy.
- Assemble wraps: Lay a collard leaf flat on cutting board. Spread hot coconut rice on the top half of the leaf, then arrange fillings (carrots, onions, scallions, avocado) carefully atop rice. Fold ends of the leaf in and roll from front to back like a burrito. Cut wrap in half and serve with peanut sauce. Repeat & enjoy!