Sweet & Spicy Beef Stir Fry
This stir fry is too good: delicious, colorful, seasonal, and simple! Cook up a dish the whole family will crave with fresh broccoli, carrots, and ground beef in a sweet and spicy sauce in less than 30 minutes! Topped on a bed of nutty brown rice, the meal offers a boost of nutrients, fiber, and a fun burst of flavor to your weekly routine!
Servings: 6 servings
- Saucepan with lid
- Sheet pan
- Large saute pan
- 1 or 2 medium or small shallots
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 head broccoli (about 3 cups)
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup hot sauce (to taste)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup brown rice
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup honey
- olive oil
- Prepare rice: fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil (as you would for pasta). Rinse rice to remove some starch. Add rice and a pinch of salt and pepper to boiling water. Cook until rice is tender, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain excess water and return to pot with lid on to steam for 10 minutes. While rice is cooking, begin broccoli and stir-fry.
- Dice shallots and carrots into 1/2 inch pieces. Mince garlic. Break or cut broccoli head into bite-size florets.
- Toss broccoli florets with a drizzle of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread out on sheet pan and roast in oven until tender and browning, 15-18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saute pan over medium-high heat, heat a drizzle of olive oil. Add shallots and carrots and saute for 3-5 minutes. Add minced garlic and saute 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Add ground beef and cook, breaking up, until no longer pink and cooked through - about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in hot sauce, honey, sesame oil and 1/2 cup water. Simmer until combined and slightly thickened, 2-3 minutes. Serve with brown rice and roasted broccoli. Enjoy!