Scalloped Potato Shepherd’s Pie
This one-pot winter warmer is one of our favorite dishes from Chef Dani! She combines quick cooking ground beef with yummy root vegetables (a great cost saving tip to stretch the meat farther) using flavor packed garlic and Worcestershire sauce. Serve with a simple massaged kale salad for a little pop of green!
Servings: 6 servings
- Large saute pan
- Medium bowl
- 1 lb potatoes (6-7 small)
- 2 golden beets
- 2 carrots
- 4 oz sour cream
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2-3 oz cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp sugar or honey
- olive oil
- Remove kale leaves from stems and cut into 1" pieces. Peel and julienne onion. Mince or grate garlic. Peel and grate carrots. Remove ends and peel beets, dice into 1/4" cubes. Slice potatoes into ¼” slices. Dissolve sour cream in 1.5 c water. Remove ground beef from package; pat dry.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large oven-safe sauté pan over medium heat. Add half the onion and half the garlic, sauté 1-2 min until softened. Add potatoes and sauté 3-5 min until beginning to brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in previously used pan; add remaining onion, garlic, carrots, beets and ground beef. Cook, breaking apart with spoon for 8-10 min until fully cooked. Add Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper; cook another 2-3 min stirring constantly and turn off heat.
- Layer potatoes on top of beef to completely cover. Drizzle sour cream mix over potatoes, add salt and pepper. Top with cheddar cheese. Bake for 15-20 min until cheese has melted and potatoes are soft. Turn oven to broil, cook 1-2 min until cheese is bubbly and browned. Remove from oven.
- Prepare salad: In a medium bowl combine 2 tbsp vinegar, 4 tsp oil, 1 tsp sugar/honey, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix with a fork. Add kale and massage using both hands until kale is soft and evenly coated with dressing.
- Divide scalloped potato shepherds pie between plates, serve with side salad. Enjoy!