Summer time means longer days, warmer weather, and the perfect opportunity for outdoor gatherings with family and friends. Classic summer get-togethers like picnics and potlucks can sometimes feel like a big endeavor, but they don’t have to break the bank. Here are some simple tips to ensure a successful, healthy, and budget-friendly summer soirée.
Plan a Healthy and Budget-Friendly Summer Picnic
Here are some summer picnic ideas for a fun and feasible gathering:
- Plan a picnic menu: Stick to simple, portable food that won’t spoil in the heat. Fresh fruit, sandwiches, salads, and snacks like pretzels or trail mix are all good choices.
- Opt for seasonal produce: Local farmers’ markets are a treasure trove of fresh, seasonal, and reasonably priced produce. A refreshing watermelon salad, tangy tomato bruschetta, or a bowl of succulent berries make for light and delicious picnic staples.
- Prep your own refreshments: Instead of splurging on store-bought drinks, consider making homemade iced tea or lemonade. They’re refreshing, low in sugar, and very cost-effective. Remember to bring lots of water, too, and stay hydrated, especially on hot days!
- Pack smart: Use a cooler to keep perishable items like meats, dairy products, and salads cold until it’s time to eat.
- Bring comfort items: Blankets, folding chairs, sun umbrellas, and insect repellent can make your picnic more comfortable.
Impress with Easy and Economical Potluck Dishes
Headed to a potluck? From classic choices to cultural picks, you’ve got endless options. Here are some easy potluck dishes to help you make delicious decisions:
- Pasta salads: These are versatile, cheap, and easy to bulk up with plenty of fresh veggies. Try a classic Italian pasta salad, or a creamy macaroni salad.
- Skewered delights: Kebabs are an easy way to feed a large group. Vary your skewers with different meats or vegetables.
- Hearty casseroles: Budget-friendly ingredients like beans, lentils, or ground meat can be transformed into crowd-pleasing casseroles.
- Paella: This popular Spanish dish is a savory mix of saffron-infused rice, vegetables, and various types of meat or seafood. It’s traditionally cooked in a large flat pan, making it great for serving a crowd.
- Biryani: Biryani is a flavorful rice dish cooked with aromatic spices, meat (like chicken or lamb), and sometimes vegetables. You can prepare it ahead of time and reheat before serving.
Remember, summer picnics and potlucks are more about the company than the cost. With these tips, you’re ready to host a healthy, budget-friendly, and memorable summer gathering. Enjoy the sunshine!
Appetite For Change uses food as a tool to build health, wealth, and social change in North Minneapolis. We bring our community together to learn, cook, eat, and grow food, creating change that lasts. Donate today to support our incredible impact in North Minneapolis! Together, we can create well-rooted and flourishing change!