Sun-dried Tomato Chicken & Mashed Potatoes
This simple creamy chicken skillet recipe leans on dried tomatoes for a robust flavor and color in the sauce. Sun-dried tomatoes are quick to rehydrate and the liquid they're soaked in can an additional layer of flavor to any dish. Store leftover tomatoes in olive oil to use another day!
Servings: 6 servings
- Large pot
- Medium Skillet
- 4 chicken breasts
- 3-4 sprigs thyme
- 1 clove large garlic
- 1 cup sun dried tomato soaking liquid
- 1/2 head cabbage
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 4 oz sour cream (split)
- 2 - 2.5 lbs potatoes
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp vinegar (split)
- 1 tbsp honey or sugar
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 carrots, grated (optional
- In a small bowl, add sun dried tomatoes cover with 1 cup boiling water. Allow to soak for 2 minutes. Drain and reserve the sun-dried tomato soaking liquid. Mince or grate garlic. Remove thyme leaves from stems. Chop potatoes into 1" cubes (skin optional). Cut cabbage into quarters and shred using a peeler or thinly slice with knife. Peel and grate carrots (optional). Cut chicken breasts into thick slices about 2" wide and 4" long
- Prepare potatoes:
- In a large pot add potatoes and cover by 2" of cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until potatoes are soft, 15-20 minutes. Drain potatoes and return to pot. Mash potatoes. Stir in butter and 1 oz sour cream. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover to keep warm.
- While the potatoes are boiling season the chicken breasts using a pinch of salt and pepper. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally until the chicken is cooked through and browned, about 5–8 minutes. Add 1 tbsp sherry vinegar and cook for 1 min. Add garlic and thyme and cook another 1-2 min. Add sun-dried tomato soaking liquid and cook 30 seconds to simmer. Fold in 2 oz sour cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix 1 oz sour cream, 1 tbsp sherry vinegar, 1 tbsp honey or sugar, mustard, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl until incorporated. Add cabbage and carrots and toss to coat.
- Serve chicken with creamy sun dried tomato sauce over the mashed potatoes. Enjoy with slaw on the side!