"Un-stuffed" Bell Pepper Skillet
This Unstuffed Bell Pepper Skillet has all the flavors we love in a classic stuffed pepper recipe, but faster and simpler—and vegan! We have all the friendly flavors of a stuffed pepper; bell peppers, rice, beans, and spices but unlike stuffed peppers numerous steps, we've turned it into a one-pot meal!
- Large oven-safe skillet and lid
- 1 onion
- 2-3 small eggplants
- 1 lb tomatoes
- 2-3 bell peppers
- 1 can black beans (15 oz)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 c brown rice
- 2 1/2 c water
- salt and pepper
- 1-2 c shredded cheese optional
- Read through entire recipe before getting started. Wash and dry all produce.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Dice onion, eggplant, tomatoes, and bell peppers. Mince garlic. Drain and rinse black beans.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the diced onion and eggplant and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, Italian seasoning, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for another 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Stir in tomatoes, bell peppers, black beans, and rice. Add 2 1/2 cups water and mix well. Cover tightly with tin foil and fitted lid and bake for about 45 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Carefully remove the foil and sprinkle cheese over the top (optional). Cover again and bake another couple minutes so the cheese melts. Enjoy!
Make a side salad! Chop some romaine and use the salad dressing from last week's recipe! Double the dressing recipe and store in the fridge for weeks!